Followers

Friday, June 24, 2022

PLEASE TIP YOUR WAIT STAFF : 06 23 2022

     Attention!! Here's another addition to the 'Rundover Store's' collection of fine, slightly used, construction equipment. Yes, it's a classic yellow, perfectly good, only used on the weekends, 12-gauge, extension cord.   I haven't found one of these in a while, but this 50-footer was lying in the grass just off the sidewalk. Looks like kind of a mess but that's as much effort as I was going to after a run in the heat.  Also sitting in the grass with the cord was a 2-way restricted-flow water shut-off which will join the electrical cord in the 'Store', call now, operators are sitting by.  Those two I did stash and come back for as I still had a couple of miles left to run and neither one was carry-in-the-pocket material.  
     The Cadillac wheel cover was maybe 100' from the 5 lug nuts I found at an intersection and I'm going to go out on a limb here and figure these went together.   It's telling that what used to be really solid, made from steel and kind of classy looking is, like a lot of other stuff on cars now, made out of cheap plastic. Anyway, I wonder where the rim ended up?  Next, there were two more room cards for a Hilton Honors hotel stay.  Another sign of the times, these say that you now use your phone as your room card when you download the Hilton app.  So what happens when you put your phone on top of the car and drive off and lose it (I've only found 20 or 30 phones now)?  I guess you have to sleep in your car that only has three wheels, since you forgot to tighten all the lug nuts and the wheel fell off.  And by the way, what ever happened to metal room keys for hotels?  You'll see in old movies where you check in and you get a key but I can't remember the last time they handed one out.   Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like Andy Rooney now.
     Didn't hit for the cycle today (penny,nickel,dime,quarter) but still, I'm thankful for 3 dimes and 8 'shiny pennies', all symbols of the Creator's infinite abundance.  Now the shiny round thing at the top just below the 'nut in the road' (yeah, yeah, we all know, picked up by...), right next to the cat's eye marble, that was another mystery.  After conferring with 'Da Googles', seems that's a handlebar end cap for a bicycle.  Who knew?  Sorry brother Dave, it was the Racoon Effect, it was shiny, so I had to pick it up.  
     One last thing, I almost got to "direct traffic" again today.  I talked yesterday about how the timing at the RR crossing was perfect, I stopped the already stopped cars, waved the oncoming train through, etc.  Today I got to the tracks, the arms went down, long pause, and no train.  I cautiously peer down the tracks in both directions, but no train.  I give both sides of traffic a 'beats the heck out of me' gesture, walk over to the crossing arm and pretend to struggle to push it back up.  And it magically goes back up. HA! Everybody loved that, more honks, thumbs up and waves.  Yes folks, I'll be appearing in the lounge through Thursday, please tip your wait staff.

 

2 comments:

  1. Remember the room keys had that cluck thing attached with the room number guess it was so you couldn't put it in you pocket and forget it. The crossing gate may have been done for "Back to the future traffic" which would not have been observable as it was in the future...Ddid I just say that? Jeeeez!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the key, they'd have this huge thing attached to them, kind of like the filling stations would do with the key to the bathroom, it'd be attached to a brick or some such. And Back to the Future---I forgot about that, crossing arms go down, nothing happens then whoosh! Maybe we didn't wait long enough.

      Delete

Chapter 2.2

The new blog is set up. Running. And should be wrinkle free. This blog remains... for Jim to return to. In the meantime, you can encourage, ...

Followers