Followers

Monday, February 20, 2023

No Olympic Hammer Run : 02 20 2023

 

          Trains, sinkholes, 3lb hammers, and drill driver-bit sets on a day I thought was going to be a sleeper.  I should know better than to wonder if there will be anything interesting to write about.  Starting with the sinkhole, it's not the 1st one I've found.  That would be at N Tarr & Precinct Ln, I found that one by stepping into it and was fortunate to have only skinned an ankle (after the face plant).  The one today was on Davis Blvd where there wasn't a sidewalk, and in a spot where most people would be walking, or in my case running, at about 2' behind the curb.  It was about 2-ish feet across and six feet deep and wasn't there when I ran this route a week ago.  Definitely a public hazard and one I avoided this time.  When I got back to the house I called the city and they were there in a hurry, even on a holiday!  Your tax dollars at work!  That 3lb hammer wasn't too terribly far from the sinkhole and I decided that stashing it to pick up later was the smarter move.  Everyone's heard of the Olympic hammer-throw event but I don't believe there's such a thing as a hammer-run event and I saw no reason to invent it today. (And speaking of hammer, I'm probably one of the few people alive that still has 'Hammer" Pants from 1982--long story)  I know, the hammer was only three lbs. but it messes up your running motion and stride, not to mention a number of muscle groups that I'd like to keep happy.  So, I picked that up later, as well as a new tennis ball that I found at the beginning of Saturday's run, that I also stashed for later, and then forgot about because I was trying to focus on an elusive nickel that day.  OK, about the train.  The train crossing on Davis Blvd is close to the station so for the trains coming from Ft Worth there's a several minute delay to load and unload.  Which then gives me a chance to get to the crossing if I'm reasonably close by.  Once there and with the crossing arms down, it's a simple matter of stepping into the road, stopping the already stopped cars, keeping them already stopped while I signal and wave the train through the crossing, and then signal the already stopped cars that it's safe to proceed again, while at the same time getting my tookus out of the road so I'm not runned over.  There was a VW grill badge today, possibly for a 2022 VW Polo GTI, thank you to 'Da Googles' for that info.  There were a lot of tire weights along the road and one still had the pookie on it that they used to stick it to the rim.  Which I'm sure can't be very good because there's so many not still attached..  I'm wondering why they changed from the lead weights they've used for years and years to the steel ones I see littering the road now.  Is it cost or environmental?  I give up.  The drill driver-bit set of 10 was missing the 2 flat blade bits but I've found skads of the singles so it's easy to complete the set.  Two shiny dimes and two pennies found me today, always where you least expect it.  Thank you Creator of all things for these little blessings.     Apparently, the Song Burst mini record thing at the bottom is a game piece from the game of the same name, where players attempt to complete lyrics to popular songs.  I may have to get that game, I'm good at remembering song lyrics.  I can't remember 3 years of HS French but can't forget lyrics to music from the last forty......thirt.......I mean a long time ago.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 2.2

The new blog is set up. Running. And should be wrinkle free. This blog remains... for Jim to return to. In the meantime, you can encourage, ...

Followers